Emergency Boarding grants
The RedRover Relief Emergency Boarding grant program helps animals who need temporary boarding while their owners are ill due to the COVID-19 virus.
Steps to Apply
Read the eligibility guidelines below to make sure the situation meets our grant guidelines.
Are you eligible?
Review our eligibility guidelines:
Before you apply:
This is a national program and we cannot provide information on what boarding resources are available in your area. Please reach out to local boarding facilities (kennels, veterinarians, animal shelters/humane societies, etc.) to find somewhere reasonably priced before submitting this application. If we determine that the cost of boarding is too high, we may request that you find a lower-priced boarding facility or ask the facility for a discount.
- Establish a plan for how the animal’s needs can be met. For example:
- Will they need boarding, vaccinations, and/or veterinary care?
- How long are they likely to need boarding?
- Is there a plan in place if the owner cannot reclaim the pet or will need help beyond what RedRover can provide?
- Contact the kennel and/or veterinarian and request that they provide RedRover with both a written estimate and a final invoice once the animal leaves boarding.
Boarding must be done through a business, we cannot pay an individual for boarding.
- Applications must be submitted online.
- Boarding must start within one week or less of submitting an application.
- If the pet owner is hospitalized, the application will require both a designated contact person and the pet owner contact information. That designated contact must have permission from the pet owner to make decisions about the animal’s welfare.
- Provide updates on the pet owner’s situation if requested.
- Both the applicant and the animal must live in the United States.
- If a grant is awarded, RedRover will follow up to ask if grant recipients are able to provide updates and photos.
RedRover will cover the cost of vaccinations that are needed for the animal to enter boarding. Any requests for veterinary care beyond vaccinations will be taken on a case-by-case basis as this grant is intended to cover the cost of boarding.
RedRover will make payment to the kennel and/or veterinarian once care is complete and RedRover has received a final invoice. Kennels and veterinarians must be willing to provide a Form W-9 (for tax purposes) if grants exceed $600 in a calendar year.
Before submitting an application, notify the boarding kennel and/or veterinary clinic that the pet owner is seeking financial assistance and give them permission to release information to RedRover.
RedRover cannot help if any of the following apply:
- The boarding has been completed and assistance is being requested to pay the bill.
- The client is not hospitalized, or in housebound recovery, due to COVID-19.
- The animal is being cared for by an individual, not at a boarding kennel or veterinary clinic.
The program is unable to respond to funding requests by email, phone, fax, or mail, all applications must be submitted through this website.
Our business hours are 8:30 - 4:30 Pacific time, Monday - Friday. Applications submitted outside of these hours will be reviewed by our case managers as soon as possible the next business day. We review applications in the order they are received, and a reply can take 1-2 business days. Calls from RedRover will be from a 916 area code.
Check out our FAQs below:
NOTE: RedRover recognizes the fluidity of the novel coronavirus pandemic and will continue to follow expert recommendations concerning COVID-19 as it relates to pets.
If you are looking for boarding assistance because of domestic violence, please visit our Safe Escape grant page for more information and assistance.
If you are looking for assistance with urgent/emergency veterinary care, please visit our Urgent Care grant page for more information and assistance. There is no guarantee the program will be able to provide financial assistance.
Not eligible for Emergency Boarding assistance?
If you are not eligible for a RedRover Emergency Boading grant please read through our resources for suggestions on next steps.