Kindest Kid Is an Inspiration To All
Sacramento, CA (August 19, 2019) – RedRover is pleased to announce their first-ever “Kind News Humane Hero” winner of the 2020 #SpreadKindNews contest. A nationwide search was conducted to find the most inspiring stories of kids who have been especially kind to animals. Nearly 40 kindness stories were submitted from across 23 states.
The story that stood out the most was about Evelyn, a 14-year-old from Virginia Beach. Evelyn has dedicated herself to helping animals of all kinds in a multitude of ways:
- She helped her school to become certified as a National Wildlife Federation Schoolyard Wildlife Habitat
- Evelyn was the president of the animal club, “Leaders for the Environment, Animals and People” where she organized drives, fundraisers and more for local animal welfare organizations
- She is leading a campaign to bring Meatless Mondays to her entire school district
- She volunteers at her local animal shelter, Virginia Beach SPCA, caring for animals, counseling potential adopters and fostering animals
- She helped organize a Scavenger and Egg Hunt to raise money and awareness about adopting homeless rabbits as lifelong pets rather than buying and discarding them
- She is an equestrian and enjoys teaching both children and adults about horses and horseback riding
RedRover President and CEO Nicole Forsyth said, “We are thrilled to see that the #SpreadKindNews contest inspired so many to share heartwarming stories of children going above and beyond for animals. Evelyn’s passion for animals, her role as a humane educator, and her drive to raise awareness for animal’s rights make her the ideal Humane Hero. It was wonderful having Evelyn come into the office and take over for the day!”
In addition to winning an all expense trip to Sacramento to run RedRover for a day, Evelyn received the following: a cover and feature story for the January 2020 Kind News magazine issue, a new tablet loaded with social and emotional learning apps, including The Restricted Adventures of Raja book series, and a pizza party for her class.
In the words of her teacher: “Evelyn puts her heart and soul into her passions because she truly believes that they will make the world, people, and the community a better place for every living thing….That is what Evelyn does – she leads, inspires, and changes people.”
Evelyn wrote a blog describing what inspires her to help animals and what she loved most about spending the day at RedRover. Read her blog and watch the highlights in our special “Run RedRover for a Day” video here!
RedRover focuses on bringing animals out of crisis and strengthening the human-animal bond through emergency sheltering, disaster relief services, financial assistance and education. Through the innovative RedRover Readers program, children’s awareness of emotions and others’ perspectives expands, building understanding and connection. RedRover’s Kind News magazine was recently named a Parents’ Choice Approved Winner for 2019. To learn how RedRover is creating a more compassionate future visit www.RedRover.org.
916.429.2457 ext. 310
Press Releases, RedRover Relief
RedRover Takes the Lead for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
September is National Preparedness Month
RedRover Makes Safe Housing a Priority for Animal Victims of Domestic Violence
Press Releases, RedRover Responders
RedRover Teams with Safe Haven to Help Domestic Violence Shelter Expand Pet-Friendly Space