February 14th, 2018
Diesel is an adorable puggle and a beloved family member, along with his dog-brother Max. Being part beagle means he’s got a great sense of smell, and that means his nose can sometimes lead him into trouble.
Recently, Diesel sniffed out some gum that had been misplaced and decided it smelled like something he’d like to eat. Unfortunately, that gum was sugar-free and contained xylitol, a common sweetener in many sugar-free treats. While it’s okay for people, xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even a small amount can cause hypoglycemia, seizures, liver failure and even death. When Diesel’s family found out what he’d eaten they were able to get him to an emergency vet very right away, but they needed help to keep him there so he could receive the full course of treatment he needed.
Diesel’s family applied for a RedRover Relief Urgent Care grant, and we were able to help cover Diesel’s stay at the vet. Xylitol poisoning can be very hard on dogs, and recovery isn’t immediate. After Diesel came home he still needed to be on medication, and he had to have a few follow-up vet visits to make sure his organs were working as they should.
The last update we received from Diesel’s family said that Diesel is doing great! He’s able to play with his buddy Max (or anyone else who’ll play with him) and is back to his old self again. His family said, “Many continued thanks from our family to RedRover!”
Thank YOU, our caring community of animal lovers, who make stories like these possible!