Freckles and Willie: A Valentine’s Story tells the tale of Willie and his dog Freckles. When a new neighbor moves in who doesn’t like dogs, Willie is faced with challenges of friendship and loyalty with people and pets.
5 ways to bring Freckles and Willie: A Valentine’s Story to life in your classroom
1. The story of Freckles and Willie creates an opportunity to discuss relationships: Ask your students what they do when they see someone being mean to another person.
2. The story discussion creates an opportunity to explore feeling left out, loneliness or sadness. Ask students, “Have you ever felt like Freckles?”
3. Invite students to bring their stuffed animals to your classroom’s Valentine’s Day party.
4. In the story, Willie makes a Valentine card for his friend. Have students make a Valentine card for an animal of their choice.
5. Take the May online RedRover Readers training and learn to use the RedRover Readers curriculum to bring humane-themed literature, critical thinking and discussion to your classroom.