Grants are intended to bridge a critical gap in funding to enable the pet housing project to begin. Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T) provides a start-up manual that will help to get the project started.
Grants, up to $20,000, are offered throughout the United States. Grants may be used to pay for building materials and supplies to create co-sheltering for pets at a domestic violence shelter.
Our “Purple Leash Project” partnership with Purina, which provides over half a million dollars in funding over four years, may also be able provide additional resources, such as nutritious cat or dog food, for the domestic violence shelters that are interested.
We especially encourage shelters in Hawaii, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and West Virginia to apply for Safe Housing grants as there are currently no pet-friendly domestic violence shelters in these states.
For quick answers to the most commonly asked questions visit our Safe Housing FAQ page. You can also watch our recorded webinar, Safe Housing grants: How your shelter can help people and pets escape abuse together.
To request a PDF copy of the RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Housing On-site Grant application to use as reference before applying, email us at email@example.com. You can download this Safe Housing budget template as well.
Download RedRover’s informational flier to share this information.
- Applicants must be recognized by the IRS as 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Applicants must be agencies with a primary mission of sheltering victims of domestic violence.
Before applying for the grant, organizations/agencies should:
- Be ready to start their project within 6 months or less
- Have a detailed project plan and budget
- Obtain and read a copy of the Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T) Start-Up Manual.
- Obtain a written Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with a local animal shelter.
- Identify a veterinary clinic or veterinarian partner.
- Ensure that the project meets all relevant animal ordinances and laws.
RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Housing On-site grants will not be awarded for off-site boarding or housing, real estate acquisition, general operating costs, or salaries.
Safe Housing On-site Grant Application Process
Applications for 2020 are due on May 15, 2019 and October 15. Funding decisions will be made within 30 days of the application deadline.
By clicking the application link you are verifying that you have read the above eligibility information.
Read our Safe Housing On-site FAQs for more information.