Grants of up to $20,000 are offered throughout the United States. Grant funds may be used to pay for building materials and supplies to create dedicated housing for the pets of people staying at, or receiving services from, a domestic violence organization where pets are not allowed. This housing should be offered at no charge to the survivor or domestic violence organization.
For quick answers to the most commonly asked questions, visit our Safe Housing Animal Shelter FAQ page. You can also watch our recorded webinar, Safe Housing grants: How your shelter can help people and pets escape abuse together. While this webinar is geared toward domestic violence shelters it can still provide answers to general questions about the issue of pets and domestic violence.
To request a PDF copy of the RedRover Relief Safe Housing Animal Shelter grant application to use as reference before applying, email us at email@example.com. You can also download this Safe Housing Animal Shelter Budget Template.
- Applicants must be recognized by the IRS as 501(c)(3) organizations
- Applicants must be an animal shelter or animal rescue organization with the ability to house animals at their facility (i.e. not solely foster based)
- Applicants must partner with one or more domestic violence organization (i.e. an organization whose main goal is assisting people affected by domestic violence)
- Grant funds must be used to build new pet housing, or to renovate or expand existing pet housing to accommodate Safe Housing program pets
Before applying for the grant, organizations/agencies should:
- Be ready to start their project within 6 months or less
- Have a detailed project plan and budget
- Obtain a written partnership agreement with domestic violence organization
- Identify a veterinary partner, or have the ability to provide veterinary care through their organization
- Verify their ability to obtain any permits or other authorization needed to complete this project
RedRover Relief Safe Housing Animal Shelter grants will not be awarded for: real estate acquisition, general operating costs, travel, salaries, or to support existing programs that are not expanding their physical capacity to house animals.
Safe Housing Animal Shelter Grant Application Process
With COVID-19 affecting all of us, RedRover has decided to extend our grant deadline to June 30. You are still welcome to submit your application before that deadline, but we will not begin processing applications until June 30. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.
Applications are due on June 30 and October 15. Funding decisions will be made within 30 days of the application deadline.
By clicking the application link you are verifying that you have read the above eligibility information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read our Safe Housing Animal Shelter FAQ’s for more information.