Charity Navigator says United Animal Nations outperforms most charities in its field
SACRAMENTO, CA (December 8, 2006) – United Animal Nations (UAN), a national organization with a 20-year track record of rescuing and sheltering animals during disasters, today announced that it received a four-star rating from Charity Navigator, America’s largest independent evaluator of charities.
Charity Navigator’s four-star rating is its highest possible rating; it indicates that UAN successfully manages its finances and successfully accomplishes its programmatic goals. According to Charity Navigator’s Web site, a four-star rating indicates that UAN “exceeds industry standards and outperforms most charities in its cause.” Less than 25 percent of the charities evaluated by Charity Navigator earned a four-star rating this year.
“At UAN we’ve always prided ourselves on using our donations wisely and responsibly,” said UAN president and CEO Nicole Forsyth. “We are thrilled to be recognized for our efforts to use our donors’ money as they intended it – to bring as many animals as possible out of crisis and into care.”
Founded in 1987, UAN provides the following programs for animals nationwide:
- Through its volunteer-driven Emergency Animal Rescue Service (EARS), UAN provides free emergency sheltering and disaster relief services for animals in communities that become overwhelmed by natural disasters or other crises. EARS volunteers have cared for thousands of animals during more than 70 disasters, including wildfires, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and the 2001 terrorist attack on the WorldTradeCenter.
- Through LifeLine, UAN offers funding to rescue groups, Good Samaritans, small non-profit organizations and others to help them obtain lifesaving veterinary care for animals.
- UAN’s Premarin Awareness Campaign educates women and others about hormone therapy drugs derived from pregnant mares’ urine (PMU) and helps people adopt mares and foals used in the manufacturing process who would otherwise be sent to slaughter.
- The Zig Zag Memorial Reward Fundencourages witnesses to step forward with information in unsolved animal cruelty crimes that leads to an arrest and conviction.
- UAN’sadvocacy and education efforts improve animal welfare by advancing legal reform and educating the public on important issues.
Now celebrating its 20th year, United Animal Nations (UAN) is North America ’s leading provider of emergency animal sheltering and disaster relief services and a key advocate for the critical needs of animals.
Return to Press Releases