Common yard and garden substances can be hazardous to animals who eat them
SACRAMENTO, CA (May 15, 2007) – United Animal Nations (UAN), a national animal protection organization dedicated to bringing animals out of crisis and into care, today issued a list of the common summertime substances that can be hazardous to pets.
“Many of the plants in our gardens and the products we use to care for them can cause intestinal upset and other medical complications in dogs and cats,” said UAN President and CEO Nicole Forsyth. “With summer upon us we’ll be spending more time outdoors and must make sure our pets don’t eat these dangerous and potentially lethal substances.”
Forsyth advises pet owners to prevent their pets from “dining out” on the following potentially toxic substances:
– Morning glories
|Gardening & Yard Items
* This list is not comprehensive but represents some of the most common plants.
Rat bait, which causes bleeding, and snail/slug bait, which causes violent seizures and elevated body temperature, are the two most life-threatening substances. Antifreeze, while not typically considered a gardening substance, can cause severe kidney failure and even small amounts can be fatal.
“Even the most well-behaved pets can get into things that are not intended to be eaten,” said UAN board member Armaiti May, DVM. “Ideally, pet guardians should avoid using any potentially toxic substances. Otherwise, these items should be placed in areas inaccessible to animals.”
If you suspect that your pet has ingested a toxic substance, or if he or she is exhibiting symptoms like nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy or excessive thirst, call your veterinarian immediately. Please see more summer safety tips below.
More Pet Summer Safety Tips
MEDIA CONTACT: Alexis Raymond, (916) 429-2457.
Now celebrating its 20th year, United Animal Nations (UAN) is