Sometimes we get busy and forget to listen to those we love. Practice active listening with your pets. Do they come to you asking for walks, play time or belly rubs? If so, stop and let them know you’re listening. Here’s a list to get you started:
- Take your dog for a walk.
- Make a toy for your cat.
- Spend time giving belly rubs or petting.
- Spend time playing with your cat or dog.
- Bake some homemade pet treats.
More tips for feeling grateful
- Write a poem or letter to your pet about what you have learned from him or her.
- Create a photo collage or wall of appreciation, at home or on social media.
- Make a video about the story of you and your pet and how having that companion has turned your house into a home.
- If your pet came from a shelter or rescue, tell the rescue how grateful you are and consider volunteering or helping them in some way.
- Share your story with us! Send the story of your bond and a favorite photo of you and your pet, to info@RedRover.org. See “The Bond” contest details at RedRover.org/bond.
If you enjoyed these exercises, pick one to try while thinking of a human friend or family member as well!