Our hearts are with all the people and animals impacted by Hurricane Ian. Here is a list of currently available animal emergency shelters and resources for evacuees in Florida.
Resources for pet owners
Know of a resource or shelter to add to this list? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note that these resources have been gathered from public sources. If you are planning to shelter at one of these sites with your animals, please verify that it is open and accepting animals as conditions may have changed.
Pet-friendly lodging resources*:
*Contact these resources directly for current availability.
The Red Cross Emergency app can help keep you and your loved ones safe with real-time alerts, shelter locations and safety advice on wildfires. The Red Cross First Aid app provides instant access to information on handling the most common first aid emergencies. Download these apps for free by searching for “American Red Cross” in your app store or at redcross.org/apps.
For those evacuating pets, large and small, the American Red Cross recommends keeping current photos of you with your pet in the event the animal gets lost, and holding onto information about feeding schedules, medical conditions, behavior issues and the name and number of a veterinarian.
Resources by state:
- Easton Newberry Archery Center – 24880 N.W. 16th Ave, Newberry, FL
- Eastside High School – 1201 S.E. 43rd Street, Gainesville, FL
- Walter Butler Community Center – 4201 N Cocoa Blvd, Cocoa, FL
- Wickham Park Community Center – 2815 Leisure Way, Melbourne, FL
- Max K. Rodes Community Center – 3410 Flanagan Ave West Melbourne, FL
All Charlotte County shelters are pet-friendly:
- Kingsway Elementary School – 23300 Quasar Blvd., Port Charlotte, FL
- Liberty Elementary School – 370 Atwater St., Port Charlotte, FL
- Neil Armstrong Elementary School – 22100 Breezeswept Ave., Port Charlotte, FL
- Harold Avenue Regional Park Recreation Center – 23400 Harold Ave., Port Charlotte, FL
- Babcock School Field House – 43301 Cypress Pkwy, Punta Gorda, FL
You will need to bring supplies for each family member and pets. Be sure to bring:
- Pet care items
- Pet food and water (at least two weeks worth)
- Proper identification
- Medical records/microchip info/vaccination papers
- A carrier or cage
- Muzzle and leash
- Water and food bowls
- Lecanto Primary – 3790 W Educational Path, Lecanto, FL
- Keystone Heights High School – 900 S.W. Orchid Keystone Heights, FL
- Orange Park High School – 2300 Kingsley Avenue Orange Park, FL
Please keep in mind that the only pets allowed are dogs, cats, rodents (such as hamsters and gerbils), rabbits, and birds, and the ADA allows a miniature horse, as long as it provided a service connected to the owner’s disability.
The list of pet friendly shelters changes rapidly, so evacuees are encouraged to call the information help line at 239-252-8444 for the most up to date information.
- Oakridge Middle School – 14975 Collier Blvd, Naples FL
- Corkscrew Middle School – 1165 County Road 858, Naples FL
- Golden Gate Middle School – 2701 48th Terrace SW, Naples FL
Available as of 5 p.m. Wednesday, 9/28:
- Atlantic Coast High School – 8735 R. G. Skinner Parkway – open for general population, special needs and pet friendly
Please arrive at the shelters by 4 pm. Evacuees who need assistance with transportation to a shelter, to please contact (386) 313-4200, immediately.
- Bunnell Elementary School – 305 North Palmetto St, Bunnell, FL
- “Pets” are dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, rodents, and turtles
- Four (4) pet maximum
- No snakes, reptiles or farm animals and livestock
- No drop offs
- Animals must be crated
- Animals must have current vaccination records and supplies, including medications
Updates can be found on the Hernando County website. Currently available shelters are listed below. Animals will be housed in crates in a different location than where general population is located. Remember to bring a crate, vaccination records, collar with name and contact number, food and water:
- The Mining Association Enrichment Center – 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd., Brooksville, FL
- Explorer K-8 -10252 Northcliffe Blvd., Spring Hill, FL
- D.S. Parrott Middle School – 19220 Youth Drive, Brooksville, FL
- Bring your own appropriately sized crate (County resources are limited)
- Bring all your dogs required medications • Bring several days’ worth of your animals’ food
- Ensure your dog is current on all vaccinations
- Bring your own leash and collar. Ensure your dog is trained to walk on a leash
- Bring any toys and/or bedding that will make your animal comfortable.
- If your animal is fearful or shy, bring sheets to cover the crate while still allowing airflow.
- If you bring a crate place something unique on it to distinguish it from others.
- Understand that your animal will not be housed in the same section as you; however, you will have access to your animal.
- Do not buy different snacks or food for the animal that they are not accustomed to, this will often cause the animals to have digestive issues; particularly when they are already stressed.
- If your animal has any propensity to bite animals or humans, please obtain and utilize a muzzle.
- Bring spray cleaner, paper towels etc., to be able to clean your animal’s crate.
For people using Special Needs shelters: ***If you are needing the Special Needs Shelter and have a pet, transportation from either your house or shelter location for your pet is done through Animal Control with Hernando County Sheriff’s Office. Please call Hernando County Public Information Center at 352-754-4083 to arrange pick up.***
Please visit the Hillsborough County website to check for updates on available shelter before finalizing your plans. Pet-Friendly shelters and instructions are listed below.
- Barrington Middle – 5925 Village Center Dr., Lithia, FL
- Bartels Middle – 9190 Imperial Oaks Blvd., Tampa, FL
- Burnett Middle – 1010 N Kingsway Rd., Seffner, FL
- Erwin Technical – 4748 Cougar Path, Plant City, FL – AT CAPACITY
- Riverview High School – 11311 Boyette Rd., Riverview, FL
- Shields Middle School – 15732 Beth Shields Way, Ruskin, FL
- Sickles High School – 7950 Gunn Highway, Tampa, FL
- Smith, SGT Paul Middle – 14303 Citrus Pointe Dr., Tampa
- Steinbrenner High School – 5575 W. Lutz Lake Fern Rd., Lutz, FL
- Strawberry Crest High School – 4691 Gallagher Rd., Dover, FL
- Sumner High School – 10650 Co. Rd. 672, Riverview, FL
- Yuengling Center – 12499 USF Bull Run Drive, Tampa, FL
To shelter your pet in case of emergency you must bring:
- Proof of current rabies vaccination and license for dogs and cats
- Pet must be on a leash or in a carrier
- A crate large enough for your pet to stand up and turn around. Cats need a crate large enough to contain litter and food/water
- Bring all pet supplies to include: crate, food, water, litter, treats, cleaning supplies, medicines, etc.
- You are responsible for the care of your pet while in the shelter
- Cohabitation of pets and owners is not permitted
INDIAN RIVER COUNTY
- Liberty Magnet School – 6850 81st Street, Vero Beach, FL
- Villages Elementary – 695 Rolling Acres Rd, Lady Lake, FL (special needs)
- Leesburg Elementary – 2229 South St, Leesburg, FL (special needs)
- Umatilla Elementary – 401 Lake St, Umatilla, FL (special needs)
- Lost Lake Elementary – 1901 Johns Lake Rd, Clermont, FL (special needs)
- Astatula Elementary – 13925 Florida Ave, Astatula, FL (special needs)
- Treadway Elementary — 10619 Treadway School Rd, Leesburg, FL
- Spring Creek Charter — 44440 Spring Creek Rd, Paisley, FL
- Mascotte Charter — 460 Midway Ave, Mascotte, FL
- Round Lake Charter – 31333 Round Lake Rd, Mount Dora, FL
All Lee County shelters are pet-friendly. A list of currently available shelters from the Lee County website is below.
- Manatee Elementary School – 5301 Tice Street Fort Myers, FL
- Treeline Elementary School – 10900 Treeline Ave. Fort Myers, FL
- Tortuga Preserve Elementary – 1711 Gunnery Road N. Lehigh Acres, FL
- Harns Marsh Middle School – 1820 Unice Avenue N., Lehigh Acres, FL
- Dunbar High School – 3800 Edison Avenue Fort Myers, FL
- East Lee County High School – 715 Thomas Sherwin Ave. Lehigh Acres, FL
- Estero Recreation Center – 9200 Corkscrew Palms Blvd. Estero, FL
- Gateway High School – 13820 Griffin Dr. Fort Myers, FL
- Hertz Arena – 11000 Everblades Parkway Estero, FL
- Island Coast High School – 2125 DeNavarra Pkwy. Cape Coral, FL
- Oak Hammock Middle School – 5321 Tice Street Fort Myers, FL
- South Fort Myers High School – 14020 Plantation Road Fort Myers, FL
- Varsity Lakes Middle School – 801 Gunnery Road North Lehigh Acres, FL
- Veterans Park Recreation Center – 49 Homestead Road S. Lehigh Acres, FL
Please visit the Manatee County website to check for updates on available shelter before finalizing your plans. Pet-Friendly shelters and instructions are listed below.
- Braden River High School – 6545 State Rd. 70 E, Bradenton, FL
- Buffalo Creek Middle School – 7320 69th St., E Palmetto, FL
- Mills Elementary – 7200 69th St., E Palmetto, FL
- Pet(s) must arrive with a carrier or cage. Cages will not be available on site.
- Pet(s) must remain in carrier (except at scheduled exercise times).
- Owners must provide pet food and other pet supplies as needed.
- Owners must provide certification that pet(s) are current with rabies vaccination
- Owners will not permit other shelter occupants to handle or approach pet(s).
- Owners are responsible for the care, feeding and handling of their own pet(s)
- Vanguard High School –Seven NW 28th St., Ocala, FL
All Monroe County shelters are pet-friendly.
- Key West High School – 2100 Flagler Ave, Key West, FL
- Callahan Middle School, 450121 Old Dixie Highway, Callahan, FL 32011
- Apopka High School – 555 Martin St., Apopka, FL 32712
- Timber Creek High School – 1001 Avalon Park Blvd., Orlando, FL 32828
- Liberty High School – 4250 Pleasant Hill Rd, Kissimmee, FL
- Fivay High Schoo – 12115 Chicago Avenue, Hudson, FL
- Wiregrass Ranch High School – 2909 Mansfield Boulevard, Wesley Chapel, FL
- River Ridge Middle and High Schools – 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey, FL
- Sunlake High School – 3023 Sunlake Boulevard, Land O’ Lakes. FL
- Fasano Regional Hurricane Center (Special Needs Only) – 11611 Denton Avenue, Hudson, FL
Fivay, River Ridge, Sunlake, Wiregrass Ranch, and Fasano Regional Hurricane Center allow family pets. Learn what supplies you should bring with your pet: mypas.co/PetHurricanePrep
Please visit the Pinellas County website for a list of evacuation shelters. Pet-Friendly shelters and instructions are listed below.
- Gibbs High – 850 34th St. S – St. Petersburg, FL
- Largo High – 410 Missouri Ave, Largo, FL
- Palm Harbor University – 1900 Omaha St, Palm Harbor, FL
- Tenoroc Senior High School – 4905 Saddle Creek Rd, Lakeland, FL
- Lake Region High School – 1995 Thunder Rd, Eagle Lake, FL
- Haines City High School – 2800 Hornet Dr, Haines City, FL
All of Sarasota County’s general population evacuation centers are pet-friendly. A list is available on the Sarasota County website. Bring a crate for your pet if you plan to stay in a Sarasota County evacuation center. If your pet is not accustomed to being confined, acclimate it to the crate before an emergency to help alleviate stress.
What to bring for your pet to an Evacuation Center:
- One week’s supply of food (with can opener if necessary) and medication.
- One gallon of water per pet, per day for three days. Food and water bowls.
- Current vaccination records.
- Proper ID collar and rabies tag/license and leash.
- Carrier or cage (large enough for your pet to move around in).
- Cat litter, box (small enough to fit in cat carrier) and scooper.
- Plastic bags (for handling waste).
- Disinfectant and cleaning materials.
- Current photo of you with your pet (in case you’re separated).
- A comfort item such as a favorite toy, blanket or treats.
- Lyman High School – 865 S Ronald Reagan Blvd, Longwood, FL
- Bentley Elementary – 2190 S Oregon Ave, Sanford, FL (special needs)
ST. JOHNS COUNTY
Emergency Management Citizen Information Line is now open for questions about the storm: 904-824-5550. Shelter updates can be found on the county website.
- Southwoods Elementary – 4750 State Road 206., Elkton, FL
All shelters in Sumter County are pet-friendly; you will need to bring a crate or cage for your animal, bring food, leashes, supplies, etc. More information can be found on the county website:
- Sumter Fairgrounds – 7620 SR 471, Webster, FL
- South Sumter High School – 706 N. Main St., Bushnell, FL
Shelter updates can be found on the county website.
- Mainland High School, 1255 W. International Speedway Blvd., Daytona Beach
- DeLand High School, 800 N. Hill Ave., DeLand
- Atlantic High School, 1259 Reed Canal Road, Port Orange (Special Needs shelter)
- Galaxy Middle School, 2400 Eustace Ave., Deltona (Special Needs shelter)
Campsites and cabins:
- The Georgia Department of Natural Resources operates 48 state parks that offer more than 2,700 campsites, including tent-only areas, recreational vehicle pull-thru sites, primitive camping and group camping areas. Evacuees and their pets are welcome in Georgia’s State Parks. Some stables are available for horses.
- Georgia State Parks are waiving entrance fees for those who are seeking shelter for dry camping. Parks are waiving pet fees and pet restrictions. The state parks said they have campsites and cottages still available as well. SEARCH HERE.
- Find state parks that are currently open here.
The Georgia National Fairgrounds and Agricenter (401 Golden Isles Pkwy, Perry, GA 31069) is opening up to house about 250 horses being moved out of the path of Hurricane Ian.
- Reservations can be made by calling GNFA Public Safety at 478-988-6557.
- Stall reservations will be open on a first come, first served basis.
- Appropriate paperwork and proof of a negative Coggins test will be required.
- Animal owners and caretakers temporarily housing their animals at the fairgrounds will need to find lodging in nearby Perry. They can find that by going to visitperry.com/stay.
SOUTHEASTERN SOUTH CAROLINA
- Sheriff’s Admin Facility – 3831 Leeds Avenue, North Charleston, SC 29405
(Last updated 9/29/22, 11:05 am Pacific)