June 16th, 2018
Summertime means more time outdoors and, hopefully, lots of play time for you and your pets. But beware of common yard and garden substances that can be hazardous to animals who eat them.
“Many of the plants in our gardens and the products we use to care for them can cause intestinal upset and other medical complications in dogs and cats,” says RedRover President and CEO Nicole Forsyth. “With summer upon us, we’ll be spending more time outdoors and must make sure our pets don’t eat these dangerous and potentially lethal substances.”
Prevent your pets from “dining out” on the following potentially toxic substances:
– Morning glories
|Gardening & Yard Items– Antifreeze
– Cacao bean mulch
– Citronella candles
– Fly bait containing methomyl
– Insect repellent containing DEET
– Rat bait
– Slug and snail baits containing metaldehyde or methiocarb
– Sunscreen products not specifically for animals
– Pool treatment supplies
– Weed killers
* This list is not comprehensive but represents some of the most common plants.
Rat bait, which causes bleeding, and snail/slug bait, which causes violent seizures and elevated body temperature, are the two most life-threatening substances. Antifreeze, while not typically considered a gardening substance, can cause severe kidney failure and even small amounts can be fatal.
“Even the most well-behaved pets can get into things that are not intended to be eaten,” says former RedRover board member Armaiti May, DVM. “Ideally, pet guardians should avoid using any potentially toxic substances. Otherwise, these items should be placed in areas inaccessible to animals.”
If you suspect that your pet has ingested a toxic substance, or if he or she is exhibiting symptoms like nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy or excessive thirst, call your veterinarian immediately. Please see more summer safety tips below.