February 19th, 2014
When Julia went to the gym one day and left her dog, Koal, at home, she never imagined that he could be in any danger. Koal, a 12-year-old pit bull, was a very special dog who helped educate people on ending breed discrimination.
But a fire in the home sparked and soon the house caught fire, trapping the elderly pit bull inside. When Julia returned home, flames were roaring, the building was a wall of black smoke and the poor dog was crying for help inside the burning house. With her heart pounding, Julia rushed inside and called Koal, bringing the scared dog to safety.
Once outside and safe, Julia saw burns on Koal’s body. He was coughing harshly. She rushed Koal to the veterinarian and after rounds of IV fluids, oxygen and x-rays, Julia was out of money and short on time to save her best friend. Having just moved across the country to California, she had no friends or family to turn to for help.
Julia applied for a RedRover Relief financial assistance grant and was amazed by the speedy reply from RedRover’s case managers. The RedRover Relief team knew Koal would need extra care and support, so they reached out to Rose, one of RedRover’s generous On-Call Angel donors, for help. With the extra pledge from Rose, RedRover was able to help Julia get the funds she needed to continue Koal’s weekly treatments. Koal spent several weeks making trips back and forth to the vet for his maladies from the fire and has since made a full recovery.
Julia recently told us, “Without the help from RedRover, Koal may not have been able to make a full recovery. I am so thankful for the efforts and support in getting Koal back to his health. You helped save not only a amazing dog, but a very special dog who is loved by many.”
Editor’s correction: In our original publication, we said that Julia was at work, when in fact she was at the gym when the fire occurred. Corrections have been made to preserve the accuracy of the story.