Grants, up to $20,000, are offered throughout the United States. Grant funds may be used to pay for building materials and supplies to create dedicated housing for the pets of people staying at a domestic violence shelter where pets are not allowed.
Our “Purple Leash Project” partnership with Purina, which provides over half a million dollars in funding over four years, may also be able provide additional resources, such as nutritious cat or dog food, for the domestic violence shelters that are interested.
We especially encourage shelters in Hawaii and Rhode Island to apply for Safe Housing grants as there are currently no pet-friendly domestic violence shelters in these states.
For quick answers to the most commonly asked questions, visit our Safe Housing Off-Site FAQ page. You can also watch our recorded webinar, Safe Housing grants: How your shelter can help people and pets escape abuse together.
To request a PDF copy of the RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Housing Off-site Grant application to use as reference before applying, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also download this Safe Housing Off-site budget template.
- Applicants must be recognized by the IRS as 501(c)(3) organizations
- Applicants must be agencies with a primary mission of sheltering victims of domestic violence
- Partner with a licensed animal care facility
Before applying for the grant, organizations/agencies should:
- Be ready to start their project within 6 months or less
- Have a detailed project plan and budget
- Obtain and read a copy of the Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T) Start-Up Manual. Please note that some parts of the manual will not apply to the off-site housing option.
- Obtain a written partnership agreement with agency housing animals
- Obtain a written Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with partner animal shelter/facility (if needed)
- Identify a veterinary clinic or veterinarian partner.
- Ensure that the project meets all relevant animal ordinances and laws
RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Housing Off-site grants will not be awarded for real estate acquisition, general operating costs, or salaries.
Safe Housing Off-site Grant Application Process
Applications for 2020 are due on June 30 and October 15. Funding decisions will be made within 30 days of the application deadline.
By clicking the application link you are verifying that you have read the above eligibility information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read our Off-site Housing FAQ’s for more information