Together with Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T), RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Housing grants enable organizations that provide emergency sheltering for victims of domestic violence to create space to house pets of domestic violence victims on-site with their families where little to no pet housing was previously available. Grants are intended to bridge a critical gap in funding to enable the pet housing project to begin. It is expected that the funds will enable the shelter of at least one pet within one year after project completion.
RedRover is partnering with SAF-T to work toward the goal of having at least one pet-friendly domestic violence shelter in each state. Shelters in the following states are especially encouraged to apply: Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and West Virginia.
Download RedRover's informational flier to share this information.
Grant program details
Scope: Grants, up to $20,000, are offered throughout the United States on a one-time basis. Approximately ten to twelve grants are available each calendar year. Grants may be used to pay for building materials and supplies to create on-site housing for pets.
Have you already received a Safe Housing grant and are finding that the need for co-sheltering is larger than you'd anticipated? If so, you are welcome to submit another Safe Housing grant application. You must have been co-sheltering for at least a year, and must be applying to expand the capacity of your co-sheltering program. Grants cannot be used for program costs, and funding priority will be given to first time applicants.
- Applicants must be recognized by the IRS as 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Applicants must be agencies with a primary mission of sheltering victims of domestic violence.
Before applying for the grant, organizations/agencies should:
- Obtain and read a copy of the Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T) Start-Up Manual.
- Obtain a written Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with a local animal shelter.
- Identify a veterinary clinic or veterinarian partner.
- Ensure that the project meets all relevant animal ordinances and laws.
- If building or renovating, have spoken with a builder or other relevant person to ensure that the project planning is completed and work is ready to start soon.
- Agree to mention pets on your website and ask about pets during intake/crisis line calls.
Ineligible expenditures: RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Housing grants will not be awarded for off-site boarding or housing, real estate acquisition, general operating costs, or salaries.
For quick answers to the most commonly asked questions visit our Safe Housing FAQ page.
Application process: Applications for 2017 are due on May 15, 2017 and October 15, 2017. Funding decisions will be made within 30 days of the application deadline.
By clicking the application link you are verifying that you have read the above eligibility information.
If you would like a PDF copy of the RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Housing Grant application to use as reference before applying send your request to email@example.com.
You are welcome to download this budget template for use in your application.