Sponsored by Redfin

Are you considering adding a pet to your household?

Pets can bring such joy to our lives and make a great addition to the family.

But before your furry friend moves in, we recommend taking the following steps to make your home safe for your new pet.


Certain plants may be toxic to your pet, leading to irreversible damage to the liver, kidney and respiratory system, or even death. A few of common household plants to avoid include dieffenbachia, azalea, Calla lily and philodendron. For a full list, please visit ASPCA’s Poisonous Plants page.If you think your pet has ingested something they shouldn’t have, you can call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number at (888) 426-4435 (they will charge a $65 fee).


Keep all medications and nutritional supplements, for both humans and animals, in a cabinet that animals cannot access or that has childproof locks. A pet can suffer an accidental overdose if left alone with medication for even a few moments.

Trash Cans

Keep your trash cans in a locked cabinet or use a trash can with a foot pedal that your pet cannot manipulate open.

Household Cleaning Products

Many household cleaning products contain chemicals that may be poisonous or even fatal to your pet. Keep these products in cupboards high out of reach, or use childproof locks to secure lower cupboards.


With the lid up, your pet can be in danger of drowning or ingesting toilet bowl cleaner, so best to keep it closed.


Many human foods are toxic to pets and can result in damage to the nervous system, urinary system or kidneys, or lead to seizures and even death.  A few foods to avoid include chocolate, candy, fudge, grapes, raisins, nuts, onions, garlic, avocados, cherries, milk and dairy, coffee and tea. Remember, even if the food isn’t toxic, the wrapping may be harmful.


Cigarettes, nicotine gum and patches contain substances that can be fatal or toxic, so keep these products hidden in secure cabinets..


Pets may be tempted to chew on things like socks, and if ingested they can cause life threatening intestinal blockage. Be sure to put clothes away or in closed laundry hampers so they are not tempted.  


Chewing on cords can lead to burns in the mouth, electrical shock or death by electrocution.To limit your pet’s temptation to chew on cords, tie them up and keep them out of sight.

Pets can bring love, playfulness, comfort and companionship  to your household – so make sure you give them a safe place to thrive in the warmth of your home.  

Looking for a new house for you and your pets? Check out Redfin.com.