Disaster Supplies: For Cats
The following items are recommended for inclusion in a disaster kit specifically for cats. Prepare one kit for each cat in your household.
Food and Water:
- A one-week supply of the food your cat is accustomed to eating. Store food in an airtight, waterproof container and rotate every three months to ensure freshness.
- If your cat eats canned food, buy cans small enough for one feeding since you may not be able to refrigerate leftovers. Include a can opener or buy pop-top cans.
- A one-week supply of water, stored in a cool, dark location. Rotate occassionally to ensure freshness. If tap water is not suitable for humans to drink during a disaster, it is also not suitable for cats to drink.
- Bowls for food and water. Collapsible bowls are easy to store and save space.
Cleaning and Sanitation:
- A small litter box, litter scoop, one-week supply of cat litter and plastic bags for disposing of your cat's waste.
- Liquid soap for washing food and water bowls, paper towels, and disinfectant for cleaning crates and carriers.
Housing and Transportation:
- Harness and leash in case you have to keep your cat confined in a cage for an extended period of time and need a secure way to remove him from the cage for exercise.
- A collapsible wire cage to transport your cat or house him at a friend's home or hotel while evacuated. The cage should be large enough to accommodate food and water dishes and a litter box.
- Toys, if your cat likes them, for entertainment and comfort.
- EvacSaks are foldable and easy to store.
- Temporary identification tag that you can write your temporary location on in case your dog is separated from you.
- Current pictures of your dog in case he or she gets lost and you need to create posters.
- Pictures of you with your dog to prove owership if you are separated.
Health and Safety:
- A two-week supply of any medication your cat is taking.
- Medical records, including vaccination records.
First aid kit:
- first aid book for cats
- conforming bandage (3"x5")
- absorbent gauze pads (4"x4")
- absorbent gauze pad (3"x 1 yard)
- Q-tips (1 box)
- antiseptic wipes
- emollient cream
- tweezers and scissors
- instant cold pack
- latex disposable gloves (several pairs)